Last Thursday I (seemingly) randomly started having problems with the Windows 10 Mail application, where it would launch and then crash immediately within 1-3 seconds.  I didn’t recall any changes I had made that could have impacted it, so I started doing some troubleshooting.  First thing was to look at the AppCrash itself:

Faulting application name: HxTsr.exe, version: 16.0.6965.4090, time stamp: 0x5758b3c9
Faulting module name: hxcomm.dll, version: 16.0.6965.4090, time stamp: 0x5758b43f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000035436d
Faulting process id: 0x24e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d2174050de8f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6965.40901.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HxTsr.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6965.40901.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\hxcomm.dll
Report Id: 322aa185-f761-430a-8e67-211cfc97e616
Faulting package full name: microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6965.40901.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1

HxTsr.exe is apparently a background process (incorrectly, I believe) associated with Microsoft Office 2016, depending on where you look.  In my experience it’s one of the background processes required for the Windows 10 Mail application — not directly related to Office 2016.  Arguably, that doesn’t really matter for the purpose of this post anyway.

Doing some forum searching, I was able to find 10-15 cases of other people having this problem, but most solutions included refreshing the OS — something I consider to be admitting defeat and use only as an absolute last resort.

I was able to find one forum post that pointed me in the right direction, however, by pointing to the privacy settings.  This reminded me that I had just restricted some privacy settings in the Control Panel.

First thing I did was re-enable app based access to my Contacts, which immediately stopped Mail from crashing at launch.  Now, it put a banner across the top telling me that my Privacy Settings were stopping the App from reading my Calendar.  I then let Apps access my Calendar, and was then informed that my Privacy Settings were stopping the App from accessing / sending / receiving Mail.  I then realized I had somehow decided it would be good to disallow Apps from having Mail access, while using the Mail app as my primary method for sending and receiving e-mail.  I then toggled that back on.

This fixed everything, my Mail app stopped crashing, and everything is back to normal.

The reason this blog post exists is because if you have turned your privacy settings up to the max, Mail no longer generates any level of useful information to inform you as to why it is crashing.  It’s very possible that you’ve taken away the privileges it needs in order to do its job.  Why it required Contact access in order to tell me it had privacy problems, I’ll never know — but at least I got it fixed, and if you’re having this problem as well, at least you know what the cause was.